Subscribe by e-mail

Monday, July 29, 2013

AAN day 43 rest day

Across America North - day 43 rest day - Niagara Falls, NY

 After two easy days, this rest day wasn't needed as much as the previous rest days were.  Still, it was good to get off the saddle for a day.  The big event, after sleeping past 5, was taking the Maid of the Mist ride right up to the falls.  I thought of Odysseus and the sea monsters (Scylla and Charybdis, I think) as I tried to use my phone camera.  LED viewfinders are really useless sometimes such as this.  I just aimed it in the general direction and could have closed my eyes with no effect on the pictures.

Then I tended to an errand at a medical lab a mile or two from the hotel.  It was a nice walk around Niagara Falls and the mission was accomplished. 

Tomorrow begins with breakfast at 6:00 am and luggage loading at 7:00.  As soon after that as I can manage, I'll be on my way to Rochester and a planned meeting of my sister-in-law who lives in Ithaca.  She was in Denver visiting her sister a very short time ago and I just missed her.

After some fiddling, my Garmin bike computer seems to be working again.  That's a relief.  Now I can navigate with the peace of mind found in modern GPS wizardry.  The Atlantic is becoming a more attainable goal now with only 700 miles to go.  About 90 miles tomorrow to Rochester and another 90 to Syracuse and so on and I'll be there.


1 comment: