Subscribe by e-mail

Sunday, July 28, 2013

AAN day 42 - Brantford, Ontario --> Niagara Falls, NY

Across America North - day 42 - Brantford, Ontario --> Niagara Falls, NY

The day started with a fine breakfast at the hotel in Brantford.  After some uncertainty about the possibility of rain, I decided to leave my raincoat in my bag and set out for Niagara Falls, 74 miles away.  The wind was with us making today the second easy day in a row.  I looked down at my computer to see speeds in the 20-22 mph range.  Sometimes I turned on the afterburners to reach 24-27 mph for a minute or two thinking, "so this is the speed of a pro training run".  It takes a 3% downhill or a howling tailwind for that experience.

Eventually we reached Niagara Falls and the Peace Bridge where we waited in line with all the cars and RVs.  Immigration took about 20 seconds once I got to the immigration officer and I was off to the Welcome to New York sign about 50 yards away.

While on the bridge, my Garmin computer quit and would not restart.  I lost all the data of my speedy ride and now the world will never know.  About 20 tries later, the Garmin still would not start so I reset it, which erased the data.  Now it seems ok and I'm relieved.  My anxiety on this trip would have been a lot higher and so would the number of my wrong and missed turns without it.  The Garmin computer is a great gadget.

On the way through Ontario, I saw quite a few signs opposing the installation of wind turbines.  After checking a little, I see that one main objection is that they lower property values.  Some signs assert the necessity of health studies before installation.  I wonder what harm to health they are thinking of.  There are complaints about the noise they make.  Other signs simply say NO.  Ontario produces about 2 GW of power from wind turbines now so their presence seems permanent.

Only 7 days more until the beach in New Hampshire. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to New York! The Empire State. I've been following your trip here and there, and wanting to write. Great job so far! Very impressive. Look forward to hearing the ups, downs, and in-betweens in person. -Brian

    ReplyDelete