Subscribe by e-mail

Friday, July 12, 2013

AAN sign of life

A few network lapses, riding too slowly and not having enough time, and being too tired all contributed to the recent silence.  Posting this entry required some finagling but conditions will improve in Sioux Falls, I suppose.  I'll post data then.  Until then, I affirm that I'm still here.

AAN day 24 - July 10, 2013
Wall, SD --> Pierre, SD
The days runs into each other now and I don't remember this far back with any confidence.  The politician on the campaign trail who goes to a town and forgets where he is now has my sympathy.

AAN day 25 - July 11, 2013
Pierre, SD --> Chamberlain, SD
This is the hardest day I've ever had.  The 20 mph headwind was crushing.  The frequent 30 mph gusts required much struggle to maintain 6-8 mph.  At the end of 84 miles were two hills whose elevation profile looks like a picture of two pointed fingers.  The hills were 5%--8% for miles.  Add the aforementioned headwind and the ride becomes insufferable.  Everyone arrived strung out, some more than others.  I was beyond exhausted.  So far, Teton Pass gets the prize for the hardest part of the day.  Today gets a unanimous decision for the hardest day.

AAN day 26 - July 12, 2013
Chamberlain, ND --> Mitchell, SD
Today was much easier.  It was only 72 miles but had a crosswind of 15 mph all day.  Riding sideways and staying on the bike with gusts to 20 mph was a continuous effort.  South Dakota seems to be a wind tunnel.  We'll be in Sioux Falls tomorrow and have a rest day on Sunday.  We'll cross into Minnesota on Monday.

I was thinking of summarizing the composition of the group but that takes more time than I have now.  Maybe on the rest day.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Another lapse. Now it's July in the blog enty, too.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete