Subscribe by e-mail

Saturday, July 6, 2013

AAN day 20 - Casper, WY --> Lusk, WY

Across America North - day 20 - Casper, WY --> Lusk, WY

Breakfast at 6:00, load bags at 7:00, on the road as soon as possible. Today's ride was 107 miles to the east, about 14 miles of which were on the interstate. The wind was the big uncertainty and we got lucky. It was out of the west most of the day and lined up perfectly with the path of the interstate. I averaged about 35 mph for those 14 miles and it was great. I was going about 35 mph and felt no wind --- the world was so silent that it was eerie. Going up hills at 23 mph fostered fantasies of really being fast.

The rest of the ride was mostly on the shoulder of frontage roads. The shoulders are patched in long, snake-like strips with a soft material that grabs bicycle tires and changes their direction suddenly. Vigilance was needed. The wind shifted northward and the free ride was not so free anymore. I arrived at the hotel later than most.

Tomorrow's route takes us first north and then east to Hot Springs, SD. Breakfast is at 5:30 so it's past my bedtime now at 9:30.

The seemingly random song du jour is by Paul Simon.
I have a number in my head
Though I don't know why it's there
When numbers get serious
You see their shape everywhere
Dividing and multiplying
Exchanging with ease
When times are mysterious
Serious numbers are easy to please


1 comment:

  1. You just passed your nearest point to home (Denver). If I had thought about it more, I might have come wave as you went by. Glad you had a tailwind. Good going, Larry!

    ReplyDelete