Subscribe by e-mail

Friday, July 5, 2013

AAN day 18 - Riverton, WY --> Casper, WY

America by Bicycle day 18 - Riverton, WY --> Casper, WY

This was a long day but could have been longer with less favorable weather. We got an early start by waking at 4:45 for breakfast at 5:30, loading the bags at 6:30, and leaving at 6:40. Brian's tire exploded at about 6:25 as he was pumping it up. He changed it in about 5 minutes and was off with the fast group.

The first few miles were rolling and the next 30 uphill but so gently uphill that it didn't matter much. At about 65 miles, at the top of a 60-mile hill, the grade switched to gently downhill for another 30 miles. The remaining 30 miles into Casper were rolling. My legs were willing but my seat was not. I was fidgeting on my saddle and standing up frequently but only staying off the saddle had the desired effect. Maybe the day off tomorrow will help enough for the 106-mile ride to Lusk on Saturday.

I saw my first Wall Drug billboard today. As we approach the drug store made famous by the saturation of its billboard advertising, we expect to see thousands of them. Today's 120 miles were notable for their emptiness. The few town limit signs that we saw cited populations of about 600, 44, and 10. The trip to Lusk on Saturday will be like that, too. It's hard to imagine living in one of those towns. I wonder why Wall Drug saw fit to advertise here. It would have been difficult to carry enough water through this dry, bleak country. That reminded me of my solo trip across west Texas and New Mexico a long time ago but now I have the luxury of SAG support.

With today's long ride through vast, bleak country, I wondered, "What am I doing here?" and "What have I gotten myself into?". There is more of the same on the ride to Lusk and still more to Hot Springs, SD. In South Dakota are the countless, relentless rolling hills that accumulate more climbing than any other state except Oregon. Wyoming is only third on that list. Climbing is what I do worst. I move into the slow lane whenever the road goes uphill so South Dakota will be another slow state for me.

Aches and pains come and go on this trip. Maybe it's a little like a meditation retreat where simply doing nothing for an extended time also results in the appearance and passing of many temporary, some painful, states.

The same song continues to be played in my head occasionally during the day.
Dear Diary, What a day it's been. / Dear Diary, it seems just like a dream / Woke up today. Wasn't where I should have been. / For goodness' sake, what's happening to me?




No comments:

Post a Comment