Subscribe by e-mail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

AAN day 10 - Boise, ID --> Mountain Home, ID

Across America North - day 10 - Boise, ID --> Mountain Home, ID

Today was a cool, sunny day in Idaho. We set off for Mountain Home, Idaho at about 8:00am, which is later than usual. Only a few rolling hills so it was an easy 54 miles. I spent the last 20 miles in a paceline being pulled by our locomotive, Brian. Our average speed was about 18-19 mph so it went by much faster than riding alone.

Another song runs through my head occasionally.  Dear Diary is from On the Threshold of a Dream by the Moody Blues.
 
Dear diary, what a day it's been.
Dear diary, it's been just like a dream.
Woke up too late. Wasn't where I should have been.
For goodness sake what's happening to me?
Write lightly, yours truly, dear diary.

Tomorrow night we'll be in Twin Falls. It's 97 miles away and the high tomorrow is 97 degrees. We'll get up for this at 4:30, have breakfast at 5:30, load the bags in the trailer at 6:30, and be on our way at about 6:45. When I'll arrive seems uncertain because I'm getting slower.

The first week of riding ended last Sunday with 550 miles logged. That's the most I've ridden since crossing Texas in 8 days back in 1980. As I remember it, the task is somewhat more difficult now. That comparison leads to Dylan Thomas: Do not go gentle into that good night / Rage, rage against dying of the light.


No comments:

Post a Comment